Makes 12 scones
- 3/4 cup soy milk (or milk of your choice)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 cup wholemeal self-rising flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp monk fruit (or sweetener of your choice)
- 1/2 cup vegan butter crumbled (or regular butter)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp soy milk (or milk of your choice)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 210C (410F).
- Combine the milk and lemon. Allow to set for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder and monk fruit.
- Add the butter and mix with your hand until you get a crumbly texture. Stir in the milk and lemon mixture and vanilla extract.
- Sprinkle some flour on baking paper and transfer the dough. Flatten the dough to be approximately 2 to 3 cm high. Using a cookie cutter or jar, cut as many scones as you can. Reshape what is left of the dough and repeat until none is left.
- Combine the ‘egg wash’ ingredients and lightly brush on each scone.
- Transfer to a baking tray (lined with baking paper) and cook in the oven for 12 minutes. Enjoy!