Before you travel and when you return. Follow these two lists for organizing your house before you leave for a trip so that you can come back to a clean and calm environment:
- Clean and Tidy Up:
- Clean and vacuum your home to minimise dust and dirt accumulation while away.
- Put away any clutter and organise belongings to create a tidy space.
- Dispose of Perishables:
- Empty the refrigerator of any perishable items that might spoil during your absence.
- Take Care of Plants:
- Water your plants or make arrangements for someone to take care of them.
- Adjust Thermostat:
- Set your thermostat to an energy-efficient temperature to save on heating or cooling costs.
- Turn Off Non-Essential Electronics:
- Unplug electronic devices and battery packs that won't be used to save energy and prevent potential hazards.
- Secure Windows and Doors:
- Ensure all windows and doors are properly closed and locked for security.
- Notify Trusted Neighbours or Friends:
- Inform a neighbour or friend about your trip so they can keep an eye on your home and collect mail if needed.
Create a Checklist for Your Return:
- Trash and Recycling:
- Place trash and recycling bins outside for pickup.
- Inspect for Issues:
- Check for leaks, pests, or issues that might have arisen during your absence.
- Refrigerator Cleaning:
- Give your refrigerator a quick clean to ensure it's fresh and ready for use.
- Open Windows for Ventilation:
- Open windows to let fresh air circulate through the house.
- Retrieve Mail:
- Collect any mail or packages that may have accumulated.
- Reset Thermostat:
- Adjust the thermostat to your preferred temperature for comfort.
- Restock Essentials:
- Ensure you have essential items like toiletries, groceries, and cleaning supplies.
- Unpack Efficiently:
- Start unpacking your luggage and organising items in their proper places.
- Laundry and Cleaning:
- Do a load of laundry if necessary and perform a quick cleaning sweep to freshen up the space.
- Reconnect Electronics:
- Plug in any electronic devices you had unplugged before your trip.
By following this checklist, you can ensure a smooth transition back to your home after your trip, allowing you to relax and settle in quickly.